Central Indiana Community Foundation
A resolution of trust of three financial institutions created the Indianapolis Foundation in 1916 just two years after the Cleveland Foundation formed. According to the resolution, income from the Indianapolis Foundation would be dispersed on the written order by its board of trustees for charitable uses that would promote the welfare of the citizens of Indianapolis, Indiana. The Fletcher Trust Company, Indiana Trust Company, and Union Trust Company officially introduced one of the first community foundations in the United States on January 5, 1916, in the Indianapolis Star. Appointed as the first Board of Trustees of the foundation were Henry W. Bennett, postmaster; Charles Warren Fairbanks, attorney and former Vice President of the United States; Monsignor Francis H. Gavisk, a community religious leader; Henry H. Hornbrook, attorney and civic leader; Louis H. Levey; and Josiah K. Lilly, Sr., President of Eli Lilly and Company. As was the case with foundations formed using the Cleveland Plan, the positions are appointed by public officials. The Judge of the United States District Court, the Judge of the Circuit Court, and the Mayor of Indianapolis each appoints two trustees for six-year terms for a total of six board members. Although there are no specific qualifications for the board positions, “these private citizens are chosen for their knowledge about the community and their ability to represent the public interest” (Encyclopedia of Indianapolis, 780). The board members are ultimately responsible for the grant distribution decisions of the foundation.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents The bulk of the Earl and Carla Harris Papers contains evidence of their donations, primarily receipts, itemized lists, and thank you letters. The collection also contains some event programs, clippings, and photographs.
Overview The Indianapolis Foundation was created in 1916 by the resolution of three financial institutions, the Fletcher Trust Company, Indiana Trust Company, and Union Trust Company. It was officially introduced as one of the first community foundations in the United States in the January 5, 1916, edition of the Indianapolis Star. According to the resolution, income from the Indianapolis Foundation would “be dispersed by said companies on the written order of a board of trustees for such charitable...