Skip to main content

Department of Library and Information Science Records

 Collection
Identifier: UA099

Scope and Contents

This collection contains copies of the SLIS alumni magazine and a 2006 issue of an IUPUI University College publication with articles related to Indiana libraries.

Dates

  • 2000 - 2013

Language of Materials

English

Historical Note

In 1930 the IU School of Education began offering library science courses for school librarians. In 1938 the curriculum was expanded and courses were added to the regular school year. In 1947 the library science program became the Division of Library Science within the School of Education. Undergraduate classes were offered during the division’s first two years, and a graduate program began in 1949. In 1966 the Division of Library Science became a separate school called the IU Graduate Library School. The name was changed to the IU School of Library and Information Science (SLIS) in 1980. In 2013 SLIS merged with IU School of Informatics to create the IU School of Informatics and Computing.

The Division of Library Science began offering courses at the IU Downtown Campus in Indianapolis in the 1950s. In 1993 a SLIS office opened in University Library, and an associate dean in SLIS was appointed to manage the SLIS program at IUPUI. With the 2013 merger, the SLIS program at IUPUI became a department within the School of Informatics and Computing.

Extent

0.4 Cubic Feet (1 document box)

Immediate Source of Acquisition

A2012-13/022

General

Rights Statement: The text of this webpage is available for modification and reuse under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License and the GNU Free Documentation License (unversioned, with no invariant sections, front-cover texts, or back-cover texts).
Title
Department of Library and Information Science Records, 2000-2013
Status
Inventoried
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository

Contact:
IUPUI University Library
755 W. Michigan St.
Room 0133
Indianapolis IN 46202 USA
317-274-4064