Skip to main content

Photographs and Slides, 1940s-1980s

 Series

Scope and Contents

From the Collection: The Flanner House Records consist of a variety of materials related to the development of the organization's programs and activities. Although much of the information is incomplete, the variety of the materials provides a good overview of the history of the organization.

Board of Directors Records, 1936-1989, contain the records of the decision-making branch of the organization. The materials in this series include committee files, director reports, board member lists, and board minutes. Most of this material is incomplete and is heavily represented by materials from 1936-1940, the tenure of Cleo Blackburn, and the 1980s. The exception to this is the board minutes. The minutes, although incomplete, cover a larger period of time (1930s-1980s) and provide a more comprehensive look at the organization throughout its history. Another valuable source of information in this series is the reports of the superintendent and executive director.

Administrative Records, 1936-1992, consist of the daily business files of the organization. The records include information about Flanner House divisions and centers, finances, and publicity. Much of the information in this series is incomplete. The financial information is more comprehensive and provides an excellent look at the organization's program emphasis over time by the allocation of funds.

Program Records, 1939-1985, include information about the projects and programs at Flanner House. Two of the most important portions of this series are the Housing Project files and the Project/Activity Reports. The Reports are heavily concentrated in the periods, 1936-1940 and the 1980s, but contain valuable information about what Flanner House was doing for the community. The Housing Project records include projects/programs description and copies of documents related to a proposed housing project (1982-1984) designed to serve elderly and handicapped. The records do not include the funded and completed housing projects.

Publications, 1940s-1980s, include a study of area households, a history, brochures, and newsletters from Flanner House. This series also contains information about Cleo Blackburn's Board for Fundamental Education project, an educational system developed by Blackburn to educate individuals both vocationally and intellectually. The history includes brochures and newsletters from the 1950s, a typed history of Flanner House from 1946, and some program information from the 1980s. The publication of note is A Study of 454 Negro Households in the Redevelopment Area, (call number: E185.89.H6 I4) completed in 1946, which contains the analysis of the families residing in the area under consideration for redevelopment. The study reflects the structure of families, their background, occupational and economic status, their housing and living situation including health. This study helped set the direction and programs of Flanner House and provided documentation of the needs met by Flanner House.

Photographs and Slides, 1940s-1980s, document the history of Flanner House by reflecting various institution and community activities, special events, and programs (cannery, loom weaving, housing, Day Care, dance class, etc.), as well as Flanner House staff and visitors. The photographs include minimal identification such as event, date, or individual names. The slides are not identified, but reflect the wide range of activities at Flanner House. The images offer a valuable look at how Flanner House affects the community and individuals it serves. All images are searchable online at http://www.ulib.iupui.edu/special/collections/philanthropy/mss004?show=images

Dates

  • 1940s-1980s

Language of Materials

From the Collection: Materials are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to the public without restriction. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.

Extent

From the Collection: 3.2 Cubic Feet (1 record carton, 2 document cases, 7 flat boxes)

Creator

Repository Details

Part of the Philanthropic Studies Archives Repository

Contact:
IUPUI University Library
755 W. Michigan St.
Room 0133
Indianapolis IN 46202 USA
317-274-4064