Xiaoyun Wang's GIFT Initiative Collection
The majority of the collection contains grant reports from the Indiana Grantmakers Alliance (now Indiana Philanthropy Alliance), with the addition of some GIFT newsletters, some summary financial data broken down by community foundation, and historical logs of contacts.
- 1989 - 2014
- Indiana Philanthropy Alliance (Organization)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to the public without restriction.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) govern the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Biographical / Historical
In June 1990, the Lilly Endowment set aside $47.1 million to create a network of community foundations in the state of Indiana. The Giving Indiana Funds for Tomorrow (GIFT) Initiative included a challenge grant to build endowments for the new community foundations, a challenge grant for operating capital, and some seed money for grants. The initiative seeks to help these community foundations understand their local communities' needs and award grants to address key problems. As of April 2019, GIFT is in phase VII. GIFT VII includes matching fund grants, board engagement grants, and community leadership grants.
1 Cubic Feet (1 record carton)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Xiaoyun Wang donated the materials, used in her dissertation research, during a visit to Special Collections on January 18, 2019.
- "GIFT History," Xiaoyun Wang's GIFT Initiative Collection, Ruth Lilly Special Collections and Archives, University Library, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
- "Giving Indiana Funds for Tomorrow." https://lillyendowment.org/our-work/community-development/strengthening-indianapolis/giving-indiana-funds-for-tomorrow/ Accessed April 18, 2019.
Rights Statement: The text of this webpage is available for modification and reuse under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License and the GNU Free Documentation License (unversioned, with no invariant sections, front-cover texts, or back-cover texts).
- Xiaoyun Wang's GIFT Initiative Collection, 1989-2014
- Processed by Angela White
- Description rules
- Language of description