Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Overview The Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA) was founded in 1971 by David Horton Smith and Bill Ready as the Association for Voluntary Action Scholars (AVAS). Their vision was to create an independent and impartial forum for researchers in the fledgling field of voluntary action and citizen participation. Major activities have included an annual conference and the publication of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly (NVSQ), formerly the Journal of...
Found in: University Archives
Scope and Contents The Cheswick Center records include some minutes and financial documents. The bulk of the collection contains case studies, publications, conference programs, and clippings representing its work. The collection is divided into two series: the records of founder Henry W. Sherrill and the records of former chairman Lawrence Butler. Each series is organized in approximate chronological order.
Overview The Commission on Private Philanthropy and Public Needs was founded in November 1973 through the efforts of John D. Rockefeller, III, House Ways and Means Chairman Wilbur D. Mills, Secretary of the Treasury George P. Shultz, and Under Secretary William E. Simon. The Commission was formed to study the role of philanthropic giving in the United States and to make recommendations regarding ways to strengthen and increase the effectiveness of the voluntary sector. Composed of religious and labor...
Overview The Indianapolis Foundation was created in 1916 by the resolution of three financial institutions, the Fletcher Trust Company, Indiana Trust Company, and Union Trust Company. It was officially introduced as one of the first community foundations in the United States in the January 5, 1916, edition of the Indianapolis Star. According to the resolution, income from the Indianapolis Foundation would “be dispersed by said companies on the written order of a board of trustees for such charitable...
Overview Working in higher education and philanthropy, Merrimon Cuninggim gained national recognition in both fields. His early career was as a professor at various colleges and in 1951 he became Dean of the Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas. He remained there until 1960 when he accepted the position of Executive Director/President of the Danforth Foundation in St. Louis, Missouri, where he remained until 1972. From 1973 to 1975 he worked as an...
Overview Waldemar A. Nielsen (1917-2005) was widely recognized for his expertise in and analysis of charitable foundations. Nielsen worked in government and the nonprofit sector before establishing a consulting agency, Waldemar A. Nielsen, Incorporated, which focused on corporate social policy. Nielsen is best known for his writing on the biggest foundations within the American philanthropic world. Through publications like The Big Foundations (1972) and The Golden Donors (1985), Nielsen examined the...
Content Description The majority of the collection contains grant reports from the Indiana Grantmakers Alliance (now Indiana Philanthropy Alliance), with the addition of some GIFT newsletters, some summary financial data broken down by community foundation, and historical logs of contacts.
- Names: Lilly Endowment X
- Philanthropic Studies Archives 7
- University Archives 1
- Business consultants -- United States 1
- Charitable giving -- United States 1
- Charitable uses, trusts, and foundations -- Indiana -- Indianapolis 1
- Charitable uses, trusts, and foundations -- New York (State) 1
- Charitable uses, trusts, and foundations -- United States 1
- Church trustees 1
- Community development -- Indiana -- Indianapolis 1
- Community development -- United States -- Finance 1
- Community foundations 1
- Conference materials 1
- Conference papers and proceedings 1
- Corporate governance 1
- Corporate governance -- Religious aspects 1
- Endowments -- Indiana -- Indianapolis 1
- Nonprofit organizations -- Research 1
- Philanthropists -- United States 1
- Philanthropy -- United States 1
- Philanthropy -- United States -- Historiography 1
- Professional associations -- United States 1
- Religion and culture -- United States 1
- Trusts and trustees 1
- United States. Congress -- Committees 1
- Universities and colleges--Administration 1
- Voluntarism -- Research 1
- Voluntarism -- United States 1 ∧ less