Skip to main content

School of Medicine Records

 Collection
Identifier: UA073

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of the records from the Indiana University School of Medicine. The bulk of the collection covers the years 1915-2009, with the largest portion coming from the years 1950-1999. Although there are gaps within the collection, the records provide the best overview of the development and history of the School of Medicine. The files are generally arranged in alphabetical order.

The collection is divided into four series: Administrative Records, University Records, Faculty Records, and Audio Visual.





Administrative Records, 1848-2013

This series consists of five main areas: Office of the Dean Records, Office of the Registrar Records, Early Medical Records, Accounting Records, and Office of Public Relations Records.

Office of the Dean Records, 1871-2011, contain correspondence and office records for six School of Medicine deans: Charles P. Emerson (second dean), Willis D. Gatch (third dean), Burton D. Myers (Bloomington dean), Glenn W. Irwin Jr. (fifth dean), George T. Lukemeyer (associate dean), and D. Craig Brater (ninth dean). Office records include applications, associations, budgets, committee minutes, hospital files, newsletters, publications, reports, schedule and course lists, and speeches. Two boxes of photographs were separated out from the George T. Lukemeyer Records. Correspondence is arranged chronologically.

Office of the Registrar Records, 1913-1956, contain correspondence and office records of two hospital administrators, Robert E. Neff and Edward Rowlands. Office records include application requests, budgets, committee minutes, contracts, examination schedules, inventories, monthly statements, printing orders, reports, schedules, and telegrams. Correspondence is arranged chronologically.

Early Medical Records, 1848-1968, contain office records, reports, and committee files for some of the earliest documents housed in the collection. Office records include class notes, hospital books, matriculation books, and publications.

Accounting Records, 1899-1971, contain budgets, reports, and bulletins from the School of Medicine. This includes budgets from 1929-1971, Reports of the Administrator from 1935-1938, and printouts of the Quarterly Bulletin of the IU Medical Center from 1939-1970.

Office of Public Relations Records, 1964-2013, contain a collection of news clippings about the School of Medicine. This includes clippings over school events, faculty members, and a small collection of clippings over Ryan White. Three boxes of photographs were separated out from this collection.





University Records, 1899-2010

This series consists of two main areas: Hospital Records and School Records.

Hospital Records, 1903-2007, contain correspondence and office records for Indiana University Centers of Medical Education and the IU Medical Center, employee files, hospital reports, and news reports. Included in the IU Medical Center Records are administrative bulletins, annual reports, committee minutes, costs, departmental files, questionnaires, reports, and telephone directories. The reports consist of accreditation reports and media reports about the hospitals around campus.

School Records, 1889-2010, contain correspondence and office records for the School of Medicine Alumni Association, award files, committee files, and departmental files. The Alumni Association Records consist of documentation for Alumni Days, annual meetings, class notes, council meetings, directories, fall weekend events, spring weekend events, newsletters, and reunions. The Award files include programs and posters from Mark Brothers Lectureships, Scientific Sessions, and Steven C. Beering Award winners. One box of photographs was separated out from this collection. The Committee files consist of correspondence, meeting minutes, and newsletters from the Basic Science Council, the Education & Curriculum Committee, the Executive Committee, the Faculty Steering Committee, the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, the Primary Care Initiative, the Protection of Human Subjects/Institutional Review Committee, the Radiation Safety Committee, the Radiation Safety Council, the Radioactive Drug Research Committee, the Radionuclide Radiation Safety Committee, and the Study Council for the IU Statewide Medical Education System. The Departmental files include faculty bibliographies for the School of Medicine and office records from the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and the Department of Ophthalmology.





Faculty Records, 1926-2011

This series consists of the papers of thirteen faculty members at the School of Medicine: Oscar M. Helmer, William H. Headlee, Leslie W. Freeman, Robert F. Heimburger, James E. Ashmore, William D. Ragan, Elizabeth Solow, Stuart A. Kleit, Craig Gosling, Winton Burns, Hugh C. Hendrie, Carl Rothe, and Herbert C. Cushing.

Occar M. Helmer Papers, 1913-1975, contain correspondence and office records during his time as a Professor of Experimental Medicine and Biochemistry. Office records include administrative bulletins, Alumni Day documents, annual reports, budgets, committee minutes, cooperative groups off-campus information, historical data, hospital associations, memoranda, photos releases, post graduate course programs, professional journals, publications, purchase orders, research files, Riley Hospital for Children files, and student rosters. Correspondence is arranged chronologically.

William H. Headlee Papers, 1926-1986, contain correspondence, association files, office records, and foreign aid files during his time as a Professor of Parasitic Diseases in the Department of Microbiology. Office records include budgets, faculty annual reports, faculty bibliographies, meeting minutes, and news clippings. Also included are the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Center files, of which Headlee was Director of, containing correspondence, personnel files, and project files, consisting of costs, news clippings, newsletters, reports, and rosters.

Leslie L. Freeman Papers, 1930-1972, contain correspondence, association files, office records, and grant files during his time as a Professor of Experimental Surgery. Office records contain Department of Surgery files, rehabilitation files, and paraplegic research files, including files over animal research, the National Paraplegia Foundation, paraplegic rehabilitation, and Paraplegic Veterans of America. One box of audio reels was removed from this part of the collection and placed in the Audio Visual Series.

Robert F. Heimburger Papers, 1930-1984, contain correspondence, association files, office records, and committee files during his time as a Professor of Neurological Surgery in the Department of Neurology. Office records include association files, committee minutes, correspondence, fellowship research, and manuscripts. Also included are hospital records containing files over the Indianapolis Center for Advanced Research and types of hospital lighting and ultrasounds, consisting of files over equipment, grants, research programs, training, and visualization assessments.

James E. Ashmore Papers, 1950-1977, contain office records during his time as a Professor of Biochemistry and Pharmacology in the Department of Pharmacology. Departmental files include correspondence, meeting minutes, method notebooks, and notes for lectures.

William D. Ragan Papers, 1950-1995, contain case studies and office records during his time as a Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Departmental files include articles, budgets, correspondence, log books, meeting minutes, and reports. Case studies are restricted.

Elizabeth Solow Papers, 1959-1985, contain correspondence and office records during her time as a Professor of Neurosurgery Research in the Department of Surgery. Departmental files include correspondence, presentations, and publications. Also included are association files, consisting of files from the American Association of Clinical Chemists, American Association of University Professors, American Chemical Society, American Epilepsy Society, Analytical Discussion Group of Central Indiana, National Science Foundation, Ohio Valley Gas Chromatography Discussion Group, and Sigma Xi Society.

Stuart A. Kleit Papers, 1959-2000, contain office records during his time as the Chief of Staff at University Hospitals. Office records include administrative policy manuals, ambulatory care files, audits, billing files, committee minutes, budgets, Clarian Health files, finance reports, hospital files, medical staff files, Methodist Hospital files, pharmaceutical files, quality assurance files, residency files, strategic plans, and Wishard Memorial Hospital files.

Craig Gosling Papers, 1966-2001, contain office records and publications during his time as the Director of the Medical Illustration Department. Office records include articles, brochures, instructional programs, news clippings, and newsletters.

Winton Burns Papers, 1967-1969, contain three files related to his time as Director of the Artificial Heart Program at the School of Medicine. One box of slides was separated out from this collection.

Hugh C. Hendrie Papers, 1969-2000, contain correspondence and office records from his time as a Professor of Psychiatry in the Department of Psychiatry. Office records include accreditation reports, association files, bibliographies, committee minutes, departmental files, executive council files, faculty files, grant files, hospital clippings, LaRue Carter Memorial Hospital files, marketing plans, residency files, and Roudebush VA Hospital files.

Carl Rothe Papers, 1976-1999, contain office records during his time as a Professor of Physiology at the School of medicine. Office records include committee minutes, correspondence, grant files, lecture outlines, and Ruth Lilly Medical Library files.

Herbert E. Cushing Papers, 1977-2011, contain hospital files and office records during his time as the Chief Medical Officer at University Hospitals. The hospital files consist of board of directors’ meetings, budgets, bylaws, correspondence, finance reports, information system files, medical staff files, and presentations from Clarian Health Partners, Wishard Memorial Hospital, Indiana Clinic, IU Medical Group-Specialty Care, and University Hospital. Office records include ambulatory care files, annual reports, budgets, committee minutes, costs, faculty files, and news reports. Personal files are restricted.





Audio Visual, 1975-2008

This series consists of two main areas: Audio and Video. Series includes audio reels, CDs, DVDs, films, and videotapes that appear within the collection.

Dates

  • 1848 - 2013

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Conditions Governing Access

Personnel and student records and other personal information in these records are restricted. All other material is open to the public without restriction.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright laws of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) govern the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.

Historical Note

The Indiana University School of Medicine emerged from a number of private, proprietary medical schools that existed in Indianapolis in the nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries. The political struggle and uncertainty to establish the Indiana University School of Medicine was divided by groups with competing loyalties to Indiana University and Purdue University, as both universities were aiming to establish a medical school.

In March 1903, Indiana University President William Lowe Bryan proposed to establish a Medical Department in Bloomington to the Indiana University Board of Trustees. The proposal was approved and courses in anatomy and physiology were taught beginning in September 1903, marking the early stages of what would eventually become the Indiana University School of Medicine.

However, Purdue University was the first to successfully create a School of Medicine program. Through the merger of three medical schools; the Medical College of Indiana at Indianapolis (founded in 1869), the Central College of Physicians and Surgeons of Indianapolis (founded in 1879), and the Ft. Wayne College of Medicine at Ft. Wayne, Indiana (founded in 1879), the Medical College of Indiana, containing the School of Medicine of Purdue University, was formed in September 1905.

In order to compete with Purdue University, the State College of Physicians and Surgeons of Indianapolis (formerly the Central College of Physicians and Surgeons of Indianapolis) was acquired by Bloomington through fundraising in January 1906. Together with the Bloomington Medical Department, the State College of Physicians and Surgeons of Indianapolis merged in 1907 to form the start of the Indiana University School of Medicine program. The first commencement from the Indiana University School of Medicine occurred on May 18, 1907, in Bloomington, Indiana. Twenty-five students received their medical degree.

On April 7, 1908, amid the continuous uncertainty and struggle, an agreement consolidating the two universities’ programs (the Medical College of Indiana, the School of Medicine of Purdue University and the Indiana University School of Medicine) was signed, forming the official Indiana University School of Medicine. This was a victory for Indiana University, as in doing so Purdue President Winthrop Ellsworth Stone officially surrendered Purdue University’s right to operate a medical school to Indiana University. The agreement called for all four years of medical curriculum to be carried out in Indianapolis, while the first two years would continue to be taught also in Bloomington. In May 1908, Allison Maxwell was named the first dean of the School of Medicine.

Charles P. Emerson was the first chairman of the Department of Medicine and succeeded Maxwell as dean of the School of Medicine in July 1911. Under Emerson’s leadership, several buildings still in use in Indianapolis for the IU School of Medicine were dedicated and the Indiana University Medical Center began to take shape. This includes the June 15, 1914 completion of Long Hospital (renamed Long Hall), the first teaching hospital, named after the donation of Robert W. Long, an Indianapolis physician; the September 1919 completion of the Medical School Building (now Emerson Hall), the new School of Medicine building renamed in honor or Charles P. Emerson; the October 7, 1924 completion of Riley Hospital for Children, built in agreement with the Riley Memorial Association (now the Riley Children’s Foundation), created in memory of Hoosier Poet James Whitcomb Riley; the October 1927 competition of Coleman Hospital for Women (now Coleman Hall), the state’s first hospital devoted to obstetrics and gynecology, named after the donation of William H. Coleman; and the 1928 completion of Ball Residence Hall for Nurses, named after the donation of the Ball Brothers from Muncie, Indiana.

Willis D. Gatch became the third dean of the School of Medicine in June 1932. He brought the school through the Great Depression and World War II. During the War, the Indiana University School of Medicine participated in a national, accelerated education program that permitted new doctors to graduate in three rather than four years. Although a time of limited resources, the School carried out the completion of the Clinical Building in 1937, housing the laboratory, operating rooms, a morgue, and interns’ quarters; an annex addition to Ball Residence Hall; and the completion of the State Board of Health Building (now Fesler Hall) in 1939. While fighting to meet payrolls, Gatch saw the school through advances in research and treatment such as the addition of the Hydrotherapeutic Pool for polio treatment at Riley Hospital in 1935; the Drunk-o-meter test for alcohol, invented by Rolla N. Harger in 1931, becoming the first patent transferred to this university in 1938; and advances in burn treatment through Harold M. Trusler in 1939. It was during Gatch’s time that the Indianapolis campus officially became known as the Indiana University Medical Center in 1936.

John D. Van Nuys officially became the first full-time dean of the School of Medicine in September 1947. During his years of service to the school, all four years of the undergraduate medical courses were consolidated in Indianapolis, research funding increased from $11,000 when he became dean to $5 million by 1963, and physicians who taught part-time while continuing their private practices were replaced by full-time faculty members. A number of buildings were also built during Van Nuys time, including the 1952 completion of the Roudebush VA Medical Center; the 1953 completion of the LaRue Carter Memorial Hospital, a psychiatric facility; and the 1958 completion of the Medical Sciences Building (now Van Nuys Medical Science Building), which was what finally enabled all four years of the School of Medicine to take place in Indianapolis. During this period, the school grew to become the third-largest in the United States.

In March 1965, Glenn W. Irwin, Jr. became dean and presided over the school’s implementation of the “Indiana Plan” in April 1966, which called for a coordinated statewide system of undergraduate, graduate, and continuing medical education. In 1969, the School of Medicine became a part of IUPUI. As the largest component of Indiana University located in Indianapolis, the School of Medicine played a leading role in the development of the Indianapolis campus. During Irwin’s tenure, Indiana University Hospital opened in January 1970, replacing aging Long and Coleman buildings, and adding nearly 250 new adult patient beds to accommodate the growing needs of clinical care driven by the passage of Medicare and Medicaid.

When Irwin became Chancellor of IUPUI, Steven C. Beering replaced him as dean in March 1974 and continued to increase the number of faculty to provide comprehensive care in medicine. In 1975, the School of Medicine took over the management of Marion County General Hospital (renamed Wishard Memorial Hospital; now Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital), integrating and coordinating the operation of the hospital into its own programs of teaching, research, and patient care. In 1983, the School of Medicine was awarded a new contract with Wishard Memorial Hospital in which it was given fiscal and medical control of the facility. The School of Medicine also managed clinical care in Roudebush VA Hospital and LaRue Carter Memorial Hospital, both adjacent to campus.

In July 1983, Walter J. Daly became dean and through several research institutes, fostered significant growth in research funding, increasing it from $17 million in 1983 to more than $78 million in 1993. New building also went up, including the Medical Research Library building in 1989. However, the School’s budget was drastically reduced from 1991-1993, resulting in a $7 million deficit. This led to the decision to merge the School of Medicine’s teaching hospitals with Methodist Hospital of Indiana in 1995.

Robert W. Holden became dean in November 1995 and completed the merger to form Clarian Health Partners (renamed Indiana University Health Partners in 2011) in 1997. This merged Riley and Indiana University hospitals along with Methodist Hospital. After Holden, D. Craig Brater became dean of the School of Medicine in July 2000. The same year, the Lilly Endowment awarded the IU School of Medicine $105 million for the Indiana Genomics Initiative, which helped dramatically expand the human and technical infrastructure needed to conduct biomedical research driven by the newly deciphered human genome.

Currently, Jay L. Hess is dean, succeeding the position from Brater in 2013. Now a nine-campus medical school in Indiana (Bloomington, Evansville, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, Gary, Muncie, South Bend, Terre Haute, and West Lafayette), thanks to the implementation of the “Indiana Plan” by Irwin back in 1966, the IU School of Medicine is the largest accredited school of medicine in the nation.

Extent

294 Cubic Feet (286 cartons, 5 flat boxes, 3 bound books, 2 manuscript boxes)

Overview

The Indiana University School of Medicine emerged from a number of private, proprietary medical schools that existed in Indianapolis in the nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries. The most important of these private medical schools were the Medical College of Indiana and the College of Physicians and Surgeons, both of which operated in Indianapolis. In the first decade of the twentieth century efforts began to try to merge these private schools under the state universities then in Indiana, Purdue University and Indiana University. The merger of several medical schools under Purdue University was short-lived. In 1903 Indiana University established first year (classroom) medical studies at Bloomington, and in 1907 merged with the Medical College of Indiana and the remnant of the Purdue medical school to establish clinical instruction in Indianapolis. In subsequent years the School of Medicine was housed in Indianapolis on a large campus with several hospitals, clinical, and research facilities. First year medical studies were moved to Indianapolis by the 1950s.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Presented by the Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, 1978-2017.

Accruals

Accessions: RG 3, RG 39, RG 122, A78-6, A79-29, A80-9, A83-4, A83-27, A84-10, A85-13, A85-15, A85-33, A85-36, A86-9, A87-10, A87-25, A87-27, A87-49, A87-56, A88-36, A89-16, A89-35, A90-23, A92-42, A94-44, A94-97, A95-10, A1999/00-007, A1999/00-027, A2000/01-003, A2000/01-004, A2000/01-039, A2000/01-040, A2000/01-045, A2000/01-051, A2000/01-055, A2001/02-017, A2003/04-029, A2004/05-009, A2004/05-011, A2004/05-014, A2006/07-010, A2006/07-016, A2007-08-012, A2009/10-002, A2011/12-004, A2011/12-026, A2012/13-013, A2012/13-014, A2012/13-018, A2013/14-008, A2013/14-012, A2014/15-015, A2014/15-023, A2016/17-019, A2017/18-022, A2017/18-035.

Related Materials

IUPUI Ruth Lilly Special Collections & Archives:

Hospital Ledgers (Long Hospital, IU Medical Center, University Hospital) School of Medicine Oral Histories School of Medicine Photographs

Indiana University Archives:

Burton Dorr Myers papers, 1906-1956, bulk 1942-1947 Indiana Medicine, 1993 Medical Profession in Indiana, 1975; 1976; 1978

Purdue University Archives and Special Collections:

Purdue University School of Medicine Collection

Separated Materials

Seven boxes of photographs and slides have been removed from the collection and placed with the University Photographs collection.

Bibliography

IU School of Medicine Website
IU School of Medicine, Department of Medicine Website
Scenes from the Indiana University School of Medicine, 1903-2003 - IUPUI Ruth Lilly Special Collections & Archives, Former Exhibit

General

Rights Statement: The text of this webpage is available for modification and reuse under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License and the GNU Free Documentation License (unversioned, with no invariant sections, front-cover texts, or back-cover texts).
Title
School of Medicine Records, 1848-2013
Status
Completed
Author
Processed by Hannah Vaughn
Date
2019-05
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository

Contact:
IUPUI University Library
755 W. Michigan St.
Room 0133
Indianapolis IN 46202 USA
317-274-4064