Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Overview The Commission on Private Philanthropy and Public Needs was founded in November 1973 through the efforts of John D. Rockefeller, III, House Ways and Means Chairman Wilbur D. Mills, Secretary of the Treasury George P. Shultz, and Under Secretary William E. Simon. The Commission was formed to study the role of philanthropic giving in the United States and to make recommendations regarding ways to strengthen and increase the effectiveness of the voluntary sector. Composed of religious and labor...
Overview Independent Sector (IS) was founded in 1980 as a coalition of corporate, foundation and voluntary organizations for the purpose of encouraging charitable giving, volunteering and nonprofit activities in the United States. Its mission is to promote, strengthen, and advance the nonprofit and philanthropic community to foster private initiative for the public good. By 2004, the organization maintained a membership of approximately 500 of the nation's leading nonprofit agencies and funders of...
Scope and Contents The National Study of Philanthropy Records contain background materials relating to the survey, the codebook, interviewer's manual, survey copies in both formats, the data dictionary, coding instructions, and correspondence and memos about several aspects of the data analysis. Also included are related reports, including the report to survey respondents. This collection does not include the actual raw survey results, which are available online through the University of Michigan....
Overview In 1947 Charles Edward Marsh founded the Public Welfare Foundation to render direct financial assistance to the needy. His purpose, to offer the greatest good to the greatest number of people, symbolized the efforts of the foundation he created. His method of distributing money, called the agent system, dispersed financial assistance to provide for the immediate needs of individuals. As tax laws required more detailed reporting, the foundation began to phase out the agent system and created...
- Subject: Charitable giving -- United States X
- Commission on Private Philanthropy and Public Needs 2
- Filer, John H. 2
- Coalition of National Voluntary Organizations 1
- DJB Foundation 1
- Gardner, John W., (John William), 1912-2002 1
- Gray, Sandra T. 1
- Hodgkinson, Virginia Ann 1
- Independent Sector (Firm) 1
- Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research 1
- Keating, Veronica 1
- Kressley, Larry 1
- Lilly Endowment 1
- Marsh, Charles Edward, 1887-1964 1
- Marsh, Claudia Haines 1
- Meléndez, Sara E., 1941- 1
- Mills, Wilbur D. , (Wilbur Daigh), 1909-1992 1
- Morgan, James N., 1918- 1
- National Council on Philanthropy 1
- O'Connell, Brian, 1930-2011 1
- Panel on the Nonprofit Sector (U.S.) 1
- Public Welfare Foundation (Washington, D.C.) 1
- Rockefeller, John D., (John Davison), III, 1906-1978 1
- Simon, William E., 1927-2000 1
- United States. Office of Management and Budget 1
- Wilhelm, Mark O. 1 ∧ less